Tips & Tricks
Should I Move While My Home Is Being Renovated?
There are several factors when it comes to home renovations, and relocating yourself, and your loved ones (if you live with them) can be a stressful consideration. There were times when a full kitchen and bath renovation could take months - in fact, we still see people suffer at the hands of the slow process. The incredible news: It can sometimes be done in 4-6 weeks or less. That’s not a one-size-fits all estimate, and it depends on the scope of the project, but if you’re working with the right people, it’s definitely possible to plan a safe, quick (not at the cost of quality of course) and even more affordable renovation. That is what we do, afterall, so we know it’s possible.
When it comes to the question of moving, have a candid discussion with your contractor about:
- How long the project(s) will take.
- Any health considerations (is there someone with a respiratory issue in the home, who cannot live near construction while it’s happening?).
- If it’s possible to save on the expense of temporary relocation by utilizing other areas of the home. How long will the kitchen or bath, for example, not be operational? If you have 1 bathroom, you definitely need to know how long the water will be off in there.
- Times of day it will be noisy. If you work from home, home school or have sleeping babies to consider, then this will be really important. Maybe you can get creative, and stay during the day with a nearby loved one, or maybe you do want to stay somewhere else.
- Your own personal preference.
Our advice is to consider what is most important to you in the end, and work backward from there. Is it about bottom dollar? Is it about ease and comfort? Is it about the need to work quietly from home? Maybe it’s a combination of factors; ultimately it’s up to you, and we’re here to support.
We've tried to make this decision easier for Renno customers with our partnership with Blueground, one of the largest and most reputable furnished-apartment companies offering flexible rental options! Blueground offers beautifully designed, fully-furnished apartments in 10 countries and 18 cities, with more locations launching rapidly. Renno customers get a $500 discount on their stay at Blueground furnished apartments. Ask our Customer Success Representative how to take advantage of this offer!